Well, the first couple weeks of my Devils Glen campaign on Kindle Scout were successful! I’ve had over 3,200 page views since it started and it’s spent almost all of that time on the Hot & Trending list. There are only about two and a half weeks left, so hopefully, we can celebrate in the new year.
I want to thank you all for voting and for sharing the link with your friends. I am humbled by the amount of support I’ve received from everyone, it really means a lot. I think my first post was shared over 90 times! I cannot wait for everyone to read the book. I hope you love it (or at least like it).
It’s still a mystery, how the Kindle people decide which books to publish and which to reject. I’ve looked online at a number of different sites and there doesn’t seem to be any identifiable pattern. Some books were signed after getting very few views; others with tons of views and lots of time on the Hot & Trending list were denied. Basically, I think they pick the books they believe they can market. The nominations might help their decision-making on the close calls, but that’s about it.
I did receive several questions from people, so I’ll do my best to answer them here.
1. Can I vote every day? No, just nominate the book and leave it on your list for the thirty days of the campaign. That’s all you have to do.
2. What happens if Kindle offers a contract? If KDP offers a publishing contract, I have thirty days to finish any final edits. After that, Kindle will decide when to release. Anyone who nominated Devils Glen will receive an email from Amazon with all the details. On the day of publication, you’ll also receive a free Kindle version of the book.
3. What happens if you are not offered a contract? If I don’t receive a contract, I will self-publish the novel as soon as possible.
4. Will there be a physical copy of Devils Glen? Yes! A paperback version will be available for purchase on Amazon, hopefully on the same day as the Kindle release.
5. Is the book set in Bettendorf? Yes, though a few locations have different names. The whole series will be set in the Bettendorf/Quad City area.
6. Is the book based on real people or events? No. All events are fictitious. As for the characters. . .even though some of the names may be familiar, the characters themselves are their own people. I tried to use names similar to ones that you know if you have lived in Bettendorf, but the characters themselves are completely fictitious.
7. Will there be a sequel? Yes, it will be at least a trilogy and possibly a longer series, depending on where the story goes. Much of it is planned, but plans change in the course of writing. I’m currently working on the second book, which is titled Crow Creek.
I am trying not to inundate your Facebook feeds with promotions but I only have a couple of weeks left, so try to humor me! And if you haven’t yet nominated Devils Glen on Kindle Scout, please click on the link below.
Thank you once again and happy holidays!